On May 20, Iowa school districts learned high school baseball and softball seasons will take place this summer. The West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) will continue to follow appropriate safety guidelines for athletes, coaches, and fans as provided by Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds, Iowa Department of Education, Iowa High School Athletic Association, Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union, and the Polk County Health Department.
Here is what you should know:
- Valley High School baseball and softball practices at all levels — freshman, sophomore, junior varsity, and varsity — will begin Monday, June 1. Teams will follow safe practicing protocols set by WDMCS leadership, as provided by state and local experts. No other athletic activities or practices will take place at this time.
- Regular season games will start Monday, June 15 and last until mid-July. Postseason play for baseball starts July 9, with the state tournament scheduled for July 24-Aug. 1. Regional action for softball begins July 13, with the state tournament slated for July 27-31. More details regarding Valley High School’s baseball and softball schedules will be made available prior to June 15.
- All softball and baseball players are granted a waiver for participation in softball and baseball after Gov. Reynolds’ latest emergency declaration expires. Student-athletes will be allowed to practice and participate during the waiver time, even with an expired physical. WDMCS students have until July 25 (June 25 + one-month grace period) to complete a physical if it has since expired. It is in the athlete’s best interest to schedule a physical examination as soon as possible.
- WDMCS students who plan to participate in high school baseball or softball need to ensure their athletic paperwork and health documents are uploaded to FamilyID.
If assistance is required, please contact your head coach or email Toni Wiemers, Valley’s athletics and activities secretary.
- Specific guidelines related to baseball and softball game attendance at both stadiums will be shared in a future communication prior to the start of the regular season. However, WDMCS is already in the process of creating signage and instructional information that will be placed prominently throughout the athletic complexes.
- While adequate seating could be limited due to appropriate safety guidelines for spectators, WDMCS is working toward providing livestreams of home Valley varsity baseball and softball games. More details will be provided in a future communication.
This year’s baseball and softball seasons will look unlike any other, and WDMCS’ top priority always is the safety of our students, staff, and community. Please help us this summer as we all work to enjoy Tiger baseball and softball games — safely and responsibly.
Additional Resources from IHSAA & IGHSAU
- Iowa Department of Education: COVID-19 Reopening Guidance for Summer Sports
- Iowa Department of Education: COVID-19 Guidance for Use of School Facilities
- IGHSAU: Softball and Baseball Guidance, FAQs
- IHSAA: COVID-19 Resource Center
- Polk County Health Department: Athletic Guidance
Get COVID-19 Updates from WDMCS
Outdoor WDMCS facilities, including Tiger Field, tennis courts, and other outdoor facilities, will be unlocked Monday June 1. WDMCS green spaces will also be open with specific guidelines. Please follow appropriate social distance and other safety precautions as outlined on signage that will be posted in these areas.