The Valley High School varsity softball team had 10 players earn all-conference recognition for their efforts during the 2020 campaign.
All-CIML Iowa: First Team
- Hailey Etzel, senior: Has a .443 batting average with 34 hits. Also has recorded a team-high six stolen bases.
- Alex Honnold, senior: The Tigers’ top hitter, batting .587 on the season (fifth-best in Class 5A) with 54 hits (fourth in 5A), six home runs and 33 RBIs.
- Gianna Lara, sophomore: Carries a team-second-best .462 batting average with 10 home runs (tied for third in 5A), 37 hits, and 34 RBIs.
- Abigail White, junior: Top pitcher for the Tigers, owning an 12-1 record with 47 strikeouts in 82 1/3 innings. Her 12 victories ranks second-best in 5A. She also has a 2.23 earned-run average, and opponents are batting .229 against her.
All-CIML Iowa: Second Team
- Greta Dahlen, junior: Batting .390 and has collected 25 RBIs.
- Katie Newman, senior: Hitting .353 with six home runs and 25 RBIs.
- Olivia Roush, junior: Has a .260 batting average with 20 hits and 15 RBIs. As a pitcher, boasts a 4-0 record with 18 strikeouts and a 1.91 ERA in 25 1/3 innings.
All-CIML Iowa: Honorable Mention
- Lauryn Foudree, sophomore: Owns a .362 batting average with 21 hits in 58 at-bats. As a pitcher, carries a 6-2 record with 17 strikeouts and a 0.81 ERA in 43 1/3 innings.
- Madison Miller, sophomore: Hitting .319 on the season with 23 hits and 11 RBIs.
- Bailey Walke, junior: Has a .310 batting average with 26 hits, 18 RBIs, and 14 sacrifices.
Valley at 2020 State Softball Tournament
Valley (23-4), the defending 5A champs, is the No. 3 seed at this year’s 5A Iowa high school state softball tournament. The Tigers will face sixth-seeded Muscatine in the quarterfinals at 1 p.m. Monday, July 27.
All state softball tournament games are hosted at Harlan and Hazel Rogers Sports Complex in Fort Dodge.
This is the 18th time in program history the Tigers have made it to state, and their 14th trip since 2003. It’s also Valley’s eighth straight state softball tournament berth under head coach Tom Bakey.
Valley has won a total of seven state softball titles in school history: 1990, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, and most recently in 2019.
Congratulations to the Valley High School varsity softball team, which qualified for next week’s Class 5A Iowa high school state softball tournament after defeating Indianola 3-1 in a regional final on Tuesday, July 21. This is the 18th time in program history the Tigers have made it to state, and their 14th trip since 2003.